7.04.2014

Medusa Gorgon Concept

Without a direct reference, my figure sketches are typically challenged; but I'm genuinely pleased with the results using tips from previous tutorials.
I'm playing with concepts related to Gorgons. I want to continue to tie in more details surrounding the legends. For now, however, it was a fun excuse to start sketching.




Admittedly, the character's tail feels a bit odd to me, but I definitely wanted to include some beastly attributes and wasn't keen on making the bottom half that of a snake, as so often portrayed. Perhaps, I'll explore that option later.

For future concepts, I may wish to play with more monster-ly attributes. In this version, I was imagining her as a confident, powerful and dangerous being and looked a bit to the Batman character Poison Ivy for a reference. Unlike popular lore, I imagine this Medusa character would only turn those to stone when direct eye contact would be made and she would otherwise be venomous. Perhaps more distinct and bright, snake-like markings would've made this more evident.

2 comments :

  1. This is fucking phenomenal. Holy goddamn motherfucking shit, yo. The pose is wonderful, LOVE the snake, and the variation of the human parts with serpentine attributes instead of the usual snake-with-boobs concept you usually see. I really like that the snake head is on her hand, resting, and the profile! It's gorgeous, love the colors, the tone, the HAIR! This is so fucking awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw shucks. Thanks, Bianca!

      Like I said, I'm pretty pleased and surprised by how these turned out -- in particular the figure which I typically struggle with without a reference.

      I still have a lot of skills I'd like to improve upon and bad habits I'd like to shake. Until then, practice, tutorials and a lot of erasing (thank golly for Photoshop).

      Delete